Today, Everyone Needs Great Public Speaking Skills
Once upon a time, or so the story goes, there were fields (law, PR, education) where people had to communicate on the job… and other fields (clothing design, accounting, power distribution) where they didn’t.
Well, if those days ever existed, they’re gone!
- Today, every organization — in every industry or non-profit arena — needs employees who can tell its story and speak about its achievements, goals, and mission.
- And every employee — whatever their occupation or level — can benefit from the ability to speak clearly, confidently and concisely to customers, clients, colleagues, constituents, direct reports, higher-ups, board members, elected officials, and the media.
With Speak Up for Success Workshops, you can offer your employees or team members the public speaking training they need to succeed at their jobs, and to represent your company well.
Questions to Help You Plan a Workshop
When you contact me to discuss a customized public speaking workshop, I’ll ask questions like these:
- How many employees do you want to train, and how many hours can you take them offline?
- Are they on the same team, working in the same area, or at the same level of public speaking skill? (Note: Workshops go best when something unifies the attendees; if they have widely varying work challenges or skill levels, they may not be an optimal workshop group.)
- Will they be open and candid around each other? (Note: If people are trying to hide vulnerabilities, they won’t learn as much; this can be an issue with high-level executives, who often get more from individual coaching.)
- Who do they usually speak to, and what situations do they usually speak in (pitches, presentations, internal meetings, giving directions, arguing for their ideas, etc.)?
- What skills do you want them to acquire? Will they be using those skills after the workshop? (Note: For best results, people need to put their new skills to work — often, and soon.)
- What would success look like to you? To the workshop attendees?
What Does a Speak Up for Success Public Speaking Workshop Include?
Speak Up for Success public speaking workshops always start with the basics:
- The Public Speaking Relationship (between you, your content, and your audience);
- How To Be Sure You’re Being Heard (articulation, eye contact, pauses, and more); and
- Organize a Speech and Speak Off the Cuff (the Instant Speech format, and how to successfully Prepare-Practice-Present).
What happens after that?
Depending on your goals, time frame, and number of attendees, the sky’s the limit. Other topics we can add include:
- Talking to Senior Leaders,
- Improve Your Listening Skills,
- How to Pitch Effectively (for individuals and pitch teams),
- Making PowerPoint Work for You,
- Storytelling for Business,
- Asking for the Gift (for fundraisers and development staff),
- Public Speaking for Techies,
- Powerful Communications for Women,
- Be Your Own Advocate (for lawyers),
- Your Public Speaking Personality, and much more!
How Long Are Speak Up for Success Public Speaking Workshops, and How Many People Can Attend?
When we speak, we’ll consider how to best meet your needs within your budget and time-frame. But here, for reference, are some popular workshop formats:
- 2-hour Workshops: This workshop is ideal for a group of 8-15 participants. We’ll focus on Public Speaking Basics, and every participant will have a chance to speak in front of the group and receive feedback.
- 3 1/2-hour Workshops: This workshop is ideal for groups of 15-22 people. Every participant will be able to present to the entire group twice, which allows them to incorporate feedback and improve from practice. This workshop length also allows the incorporation of one or more special topics like those listed above.
- 6-hour Workshops: This full-day workshop includes 6 hours of instruction with a lunch hour and two shorter breaks, and is suitable for groups of up to 30 people. Alternatively (because six hours is a long time to concentrate on new information!), it can be delivered in two 3-hour segments — first, in the afternoon; then, the next morning, which allows people to refresh their energy and attention overnight.
- Keynote Speeches / Demonstrations — For groups of more than 30, a 1-to-1.5 hour keynote speech provides the same information, insights, and techniques, though with less participation.
What Else Do I Need to Know about Speak Up for Success’ Public Speaking Workshops?
A few things!
- Everyone who attends a Speak Up for Success workshop or keynote will receive a copy of my highly acclaimed book, Speak Like Yourself…No, Really! Follow Your Strengths and Skills to Great Public Speaking.
- Every Speak Up for Success workshop is followed up by at least one email that reinforces the learning and provides further resources for ongoing growth.
- And finally, Speak Up for Success public speaking workshops can deliver even greater results with the addition of some pre-work, if you choose. Prior to a recent workshop on storytelling, I asked a group of talented non-profit Fellows to prepare and be ready to tell a one-minute story about their work. By workshop’s end, any one of them could have told a moving and effective story to a potential donor, or on the nightly news.