Does Your Organization Have Great Public Speakers?
Great public speaking doesn’t just matter for individuals — it matters for organizations, too.
- Talented people can’t reach their full potential,
- Opportunities are left on the table, and
- Your organization will have a harder time succeeding.
Speak Up for Success Workshops provide the training your high potential employees need to advance themselves and your organization’s goals.
These Questions Will Help You Plan a Workshop
When you contact me to discuss a customized public speaking workshop, our conversation will include questions like these:
- What’s your goal for a public speaking workshop?
It might be general (“help my team members gain confidence”) or very specific (“win more pitches,” “have better meetings”), or both.
- How many employees do you want to train, and how many hours can you take them offline?
- Who do they usually speak to, and what situations do they usually speak in (pitches, presentations, internal meetings, giving directions, arguing for their ideas, etc.)?
- What skills do you want them to acquire? Will they be using those skills after the workshop? (Results are best when people can put what what they’ve learned into practice, early and often.)
- What will success look like, to you and to your workshop attendees?
We may also discuss whether your workshop participants are on the same team, working in the same area, or at the same level of public speaking skill, and whether they’ll be willing to try things in front of each other. (This can be an issue for high-level executives, who often get more from individual coaching.)
What Does a Speak Up for Success Public Speaking Workshop Include?
In general, Speak Up for Success workshops are a mix of:
- EXPLANATIONS of things like fear and how to manage it;
- DISCUSSION of your group’s specific public speaking challenges;
- HANDS-ON EXERCISES around skills like eye contact, articulation, or pacing;
and most importantly,
- DELIVERING BRIEF SPEECHES in front of the group, and getting feedback.
Topics that are often covered include:
- The Public Speaking Relationship (aligning speaker, content, and audience);
- How to Prepare, Practice, and Present important messages and talks;
- Your Public Speaking Avatar and Public Speaking Personality; and
- Using the Instant Speech format to Organize a Speech, Answer Questions, and Speak Off the Cuff.
Other topics that I’ve delivered include:
- Talking to Senior Leaders;
- Improving Your Listening Skills;
- Leading Effective Meetings;
- TED Talks for Business;
- Storytelling for Business;
- Group and Individual Pitching Skills; and
- Better Communications within the Team.
Finally, workshops can also be customized for your industry or demographic group. Examples of these specialized workshops are:
- Asking for the Gift (for fundraisers and development staff);
- Public Speaking for Scientists, Engineers, and Techs;
- Powerful Communications for Women; and
- Be Your Own Advocate (for women lawyers).
How Long Are Speak Up for Success Public Speaking Workshops, and How Many People Can Attend?
There is no one answer to that question, but here are some popular choices:
- 2-hour Workshops: Ideal for a group of 8-15 participants
- 3 1/2-hour Workshops: Ideal for groups of 15-22 people
- 6-hour Workshops: Ideal for up to 30 people, this workshop can also be delivered in 3-hour segments on consecutive days
- For groups of more than 30, a 1-hour Keynote Speech provides the same information, insights, and techniques, though with less participation
Does Anything Else Come with the Workshop?
- Every participant receives a copy of my highly acclaimed book, Speak Like Yourself…No, Really! Follow Your Strengths and Skills to Great Public Speaking.
- Every workshop includes four weekly follow-up emails to reinforce the learning and provide further resources.